The Samaritan Woman: Faith Worth Sharing
The Point: Your life-changing encounter with Christ should be shared with others.
Get Into the Study
Share the following story before asking Question #1.
Ed Heinsen, age 101, passed away June 4, 2019. Serving during World War II, Ed captained a boat and crew in the Philippines. After his military service, Ed founded a building construction company, which built houses and 44 churches in Central Florida. Ed was married for 70 years when his wife passed away.
But the story Ed most loved to share was about Jesus, and how he saved him, and the difference it made in his life. Even in his 90’s, he took walks in his neighborhood, carrying his written testimony to share with neighbors. Ed talked with everyone he met about Jesus.
When health issues required that Ed be transported to the hospital, the paramedics asked his secret to long life. Ed answered by quoting Psalm 37:4: “Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart” (ESV).
Ask Question #1.
Information for this post was gleaned from personal interviews with Ed and his daughter, Kathy.
Toni Sanders provides technical support and training and is a graduate of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. She and her husband lead a senior adult Bible study group in Orlando, Florida.
Use the following story as you conclude the session.
People recently shared the story of a couple who found each other through a viral Facebook post. Savannah Campbell first met Daniel Vance at a pet store where she was buying a special water bowl for her disabled dog and he was shopping with his new puppy, Rosy. Savannah didn’t get Daniel’s name at the store, but after she got home, she decided to try to connect with him. She posted on Facebook sharing what little information she knew about him and his puppy. Friends started sharing the post, as did friends of friends, until eventually it made its way to Daniel, and the two scheduled a date. Savannah was surprised by the community response, “People kept asking for updates, a restaurant offered us a free dinner for our first date … someone even started a GoFundMe to send us on a honeymoon.”
Many people love to share feel-good stories. The story we have, as Christians, though, is better than any viral Facebook post. We have the best story to tell. When we confess and repent, God is faithful to forgive us. “For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his faithful love toward those who fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us” (Psalm 103:11-12).
Pray the following psalm for your group. Ask God to fill you with joy that would overflow as you tell others about Him. (Note: The pronouns have been changed to group pronouns in the prayer below)
Restore the joy of your salvation to [us],
and sustain [us] by giving [us] a willing spirit.
Then [we] will teach the rebellious your ways,
and sinners will return to you. (Psalm 51:12-13, CSB)
Nikki Wilbanks is a stay-at-home mom, writer, Bible study teacher, and commercial real estate appraiser/investor. She is a graduate of Pepperdine University. She lives with her husband and two children in Murfreesboro, TN.
- How have you shared the news of a life-changing event in your life with others?
- When is a time someone gave you a second chance?
- What’s your favorite redemption story from a book or movie?
- What are some things we can learn from Jesus’ approach to sharing the gospel with this woman?
- When did you first experience the living water offered by Jesus?
- What kind of social differences keep us from engaging with others for the purpose of sharing the gospel in our culture?
- What can hold us back from being honest about our sins?
- What are some ways this woman’s sinfulness had impacted her life?
- What emotions do you think the woman experienced in this encounter with Jesus?
- What change in your life since trusting Christ have you been most excited to share with others?
- Who first told you about Jesus and who have you shared Him with recently?
- What aspects of your salvation experience motivate you to share Christ?
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Here’s a brief video giving you an overview of this session: Living by Faith, Session 6.
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
- HomeLife – Words to Live By