Why Can’t We Fix It?
The Point: We are unable to live up to God’s holy standard.
Get Into the Study
Use the following as an alternate introduction and Question 1.
In the past few years there has been a rise in the “clean eating” and vegan diets. Both preferences require adjustments to a person’s diet and create major restrictions for eating out or pre-prepared foods. For instance, to bake a vegan chocolate cake, the baker would substitute the eggs, since eggs are an animal byproduct, forcing the baker to use applesauce, tofu, or avocado.
Ask: What’s been your experience with a substituted recipe ingredient? What about a substituted tool or other item used to complete a job in a pinch?
If you love a baked good, then you know the deliciousness of traditional chocolate cake made with eggs. However, avocado as a substitute isn’t bad either. Here is the thing, a baker has options that will cause the cake to rise and bind together but the cake will be different.
Why are we talking about cake, eggs, and avocados? Like eggs being exchanged for something else in baking, God knew Christ was coming but until His time God gave His people the Law. In essence, the Law was the substitute until Christ came.
Dr. Beth Masters works with college students at Mississippi College where she is the Director of Christian Life and Ministries. She has a PhD in Christian Education from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. Beth loves young adults, baking, and coffee.
Use the following illustration at the beginning of the Live It Out section as you wrap up today’s session.
Self-driving cars have been making news headlines for years now—the prospect that at some point we will have cars that drive themselves has created both excitement and curiosity from the outside. But despite years of production and testing, a recent article in Wired magazine explains that in actuality, self-driving cars may never actually be “ready” for the roads.
The article explains, “… [W]hat differentiates the autonomous vehicle from even the most advanced cars rolling off the production lines in places like Detroit: so. much. software… There’s a reason experts are softly backpedaling expectations on autonomous vehicle tech—this stuff is complicated.” Software engineers are constantly testing, re-testing, and re-writing software for the ever-changing roads and driving conditions. Self-driving cars aren’t on the road yet—because they’re not ready. They’re not perfect.
Can you imagine if we weren’t allowed to begin living our lives as Christians until we were perfect? Production and reworking on our souls, hearts, and minds would never end! Thankfully, God has showered us with grace, and allowed us to enter into the Christian life as flawed people. We veer to the right and left at times, but in Him, we are perfect. We are on track. God gives us His Word for us to follow—but thankfully, through the death of His son on the Cross, were offered forgiveness and grace.
- What areas of your heart do you often feel tend to veer left or right from God’s instruction?
- How do we, as sinners, continue to grow in our faith?
Ashley Emmert is a freelance writer and full-time mama from Chicago, where she lives with her husband, her dog, and her new baby boy. You can find her on Twitter at @ashgemmert, or failing to update her blog at ashleygraceemmert.blogspot.com.
- What is a rule you had as a child that you no longer have to follow?
- What’s something you hate to have to fix?
- What is something you’ve tried to do by yourself multiple times and failed?
- What are some of the consequences of disobedience you’ve seen?
- What tends to happens when you keep most of God’s commands, but not all of them?
- What are some things that cause us to turn to the right or left of where we know we should go?
- Why can it be difficult to accept that we are all sinners?
- What is meant by the idea of being under a curse?
- How would you explain to a friend what it means to live by faith?
Galatians 3:19a, 24-25
- In what ways is Jesus our mediator?
- How does it make you feel to know Christ’s sacrifice was God’s plan for us?
- What steps can we take to move beyond the law as we follow Christ?
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Here’s a brief video giving you an overview of this session: Why Are We Here, Session 3.
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
- ParentLife – I’m Not My Child’s Savior
Tips for Leading Bible Study Groups
- 6 ways to Embrace the Needs of New Believers in our Groups – KenBraddy.com